Serena's Random Thoughts

just a way for me to share all my crazy thoughts. please comment at will.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

risk

how does anyone know when it’s worth it take a risk? okay, the blanket answer is – it’s worth it if the potential gain far exceeds the potential risk, right? but I think that we all know that it’s never that simple.

i called a friend and asked that same question. and his answer was simple – if things are good now, why risk anything? but the simple truth is – if that was the case, then no one would gamble. hell, if you’ve got $200 why risk it to win $1000? if that was the case, why would anyone be motivated to want more from life, right?

that’s an interesting example, because people are always willing to take that risk when it comes to money. but why not with other things like career or love? i have to ask myself that all the time. in little things, i’m all about risk. but in big things – i’m terrified. i have stayed in jobs for years – because it was comfortable. i have stayed in relationships because it’s comfortable. why is “comfortable” enough for me?

at this age, it is weird to be at this type of crossroad in my life in so many areas, it’s almost comical. for work, this is the first time in my life that i haven’t loved my job. i LIKE my job. it’s not very stressful, i make a pretty good amount of money, and i work a 7 hour day at an office that is less than a mile away from my apartment. i have great benefits, and a fairly low stress job.

so the questions are now opposing. why aren’t I satisfied? yet, why don’t I want more? so which is it? am i supposed to be satisfied with what i have? or should i have more ambition, because i know i can do more? i have about a handful of dream jobs. so should i risk the stability and security i have now, to pursue a “possibility?”

ironically, i've had some similar experiences in my personal life. i have had some great friendships with men - that have had the formula for a potential “ideal” relationship (which to me is the right balance of differences and commonalities). our strengths were just the right complement for the other’s weaknesses. we actually give a shit about each other, which is sadly rare in los angeles. and, cliché as it may seem, they made me feel safe. but since i already had all of that in a relationship – was it worth the risk of losing something so solid – just to gamble on a “possibility" – when every bone in my body believes that it’s out of my control anyway? when every ounce of my brain says – it’ll never work? any number of things could go wrong and destroy a friendship, and romantic relationship gone bad is the worst way. so, how does anyone know if it’s worth the risk? and does taking that risk mean that we don’t have enough appreciation for what we already have? i guess this particular scenario is especially complicated since it also goes back to the age old "when harry met sally" debate about whether men and women can truly be just friends. personally, i believe it's possible. so that's what has made that issue so much more confusing and scary when faced with the possible loss of a fantastic friend.


i guess that ultimately, it’s all about perceived value. i hate to use the example of money again, but it’s the most simple analogy, in my opinion. so, am I looking at it as spending $10 to try to win $100 or $1000? NO - for me, i think it’s a so much more than that. it’s like having $1 million dollars trying to win $1 trillion. both are equally valuable – the reward of the risk, could be a goldmine, but the loss – is devastating.

5 years ago, i would have said - go for it in every aspect - just jumped in feet first. but I realize that as i’ve gotten older, my head has started to dictate my actions more – and the risks far outweigh the potential gains. and in one respect, i am glad to have grown up a bit. but at the same time, i miss the impulsiveness and recklessness of immaturity. (guess that’s the gemini in me) because, ultimately – i still believe that nothing great is achieved without sacrifice and risk.


What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail? ~Robert H. Schuller

A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for. ~John A. Shedd

To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself. ~Soren Kierkegaard



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home